Athens and the Athens Community Council on Aging was well represented this past weekend at the Mrs. Georgia Senior pageant. The 2012 Ms. Senior Athens, Marie Norris, was awarded the 1st runner up award and the award for having the most sponsors for the event. Sponsored each year by the Georgia Classic Club, this year’s pageant was the 23rd annual event. The Georgia Classic Club is a sisterhood of former contestants whose purpose is to:
- Foster friendships made at the pageants
- Speak and perform whenever and wherever possible
- Provide a service to the community
- Continue to celebrate the elegant American woman
- Be a support to the pageant by seeking qualified contestants, helpers, and sponsors
The theme of this year’s pageant was Travel the USA and the opening number was performed by the Dazzling Dames and was a compilation of songs that talked about different parts of the country and ending with Georgia on my mind. The contestants then performed their opening number by dancing to Georgia Peaches by Lauren Aliana and then introducing themselves. The two day event ended with the new Mrs. Georgia Senior being crowned.