GeorgiaCares is a volunteer-based program that provides free, unbiased and factual information and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers with health and drug plans. GeorgiaCares is the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) and Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) for Georgia.
GeorgiaCares helps people with Medicare understand their benefits, make informed decisions about health care options and provide ways to protect themselves from Medicare fraud, error and abuse.
- GeorgiaCares counseling services are free.
- GeorgiaCares provides non-biased opinions.
- GeorgiaCares is not affiliated with any insurance company.
- GeorgiaCares does not sell or solicit any type of insurance.
- GeorgiaCares counselors can help people with Medicare:
- Understand your health plan choices
- Enroll in a Medicare plan that meets your needs
- Review Medicare Summary Notice(s)
- Review Explanation of Benefits
- Sort through medical bills and assist in filing Medicare claims and appeals
- Help you apply for financial assistance programs to reduce Medicare out-of-pocket expenses
Local assistance is available for health insurance related issues including Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drug assistance programs, financial assistance programs, long-term care insurance and healthcare error, fraud and abuse.
GeorgiaCares is a public-private partnership, administered by the Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) Division of Aging Services (DAS).
For more information please contact Jennifer Shaikun, GeorgiaCares Coordinator at 706-549-4850. You may also reach the GeorgiaCares office at 1-866-55-AGING or learn more at the MyGeorgiaCares website.