Senior Leadership Academy, hosted by RSVP at the Athens Community Council on Aging, is a community awareness program designed to develop informed, motivated, and committed retired and semi-retired persons in the greater Athens area. The annual academy provides an opportunity to build relationships with fellow participants as you explore current local issues, meet community leaders, and discover opportunities to contribute leadership skills and expertise to the well-being of Northeast Georgia.
Through 8 course sessions (see other side for descriptions), individuals will learn about local businesses, human services, local government, education, health care, arts and humanities, and the University of Georgia. Sessions are 8 consecutive Thursdays starting the first week of February and running through the end of March. They typically run from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and are held at various locations around the community.
Each week’s focus will be the following:
- ACADEMY ORIENTATION: Meet your class, hear from ACCA’s CEO and the Senior Leadership Academy Steering Committee. Enjoy a bus tour of Athens.
- BUSINESS: Meet local business leaders. Take a tour of some of Athens own corporations and local businesses.
- HUMAN SERVICES: Enjoy an up-close view of Athens’ social services.
- GOVERNMENT: Meet the Mayor and public safety officers. Take a tour of City Hall and the Athens-Clarke County Courthouse.
- EDUCATION: Learn more about the local education system and tour some of the facilities. See your SPLOST money at work!
- HEALTH CARE: Learn about the health care network – how it works and how you can most benefit. Tour medical facilities and meet local health care leaders.
- ARTS & HUMANITIES: Athens has a lot to offer, you just have to know where to look! Discover some of Athens’ entertainment venues and art museums.
- UGA: Learn about the history of this great campus and what it has to offer. Later, receive your certificate of completion of the Academy at our graduation ceremony.
The cost of the program is $125 per person. This includes a catered lunch at each session, supplies and most transportation for the program. The deadline to register is January 30, 2015, but a $25 Early Bird discount will be given for registrations completed and paid by December 31, 2014. For more information, contact Erin Beasley, Senior Corps Program Director at 706-549-4850 or email@example.com.